BA's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
April 26 2020
One of the first cooking magazines I ever subscribed to, and still do, was Bon Appetit. As a novice cook, I found that I could understand these recipes, I had a lot of the ingredients in my fridge or pantry, and I was met with success 90% of the time (the other 10% was user-error).
So, when Bon Appetit posted their reader's favorite recipes, I was drawn to the list and started making the various recipes. One that has quickly become a favorite of mine (and obviously readers all over the world) is this Chocolate Chip Recipe.
It uses browned butter to give it a nutty depth of flavor. It is a one-bowl wonder. It requires no mixer. And the finished product is a large, thin cookie that is crispy along the edges and delightfully chewy in the center. All of this works for me...how about you??
By the way, the original recipe doesn't call for flaky salt sprinkles, but I can't help myself! I just love flaky salt on chocolate chip cookies. It's optional...do what you like!
Let me know what you think by commenting below.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Recipe from BonAppetit)
Makes 16 cookies
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooning into measuring cups, then leveling)
1 1/4 tsp Diamond Crystal or 3/4 tsp Morton kosher salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60%–70% cacao), coarsely chopped, or semisweet chocolate chips
Flaky sea salt, optional, for sprinkling
Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375°F. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.
Cook 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, swirling often and scraping bottom of pan with a heatproof rubber spatula, until butter foams, then browns, about 4 minutes. Transfer butter to a large heatproof bowl and let cool 1 minute. Cut remaining ¼ cup butter into small pieces and add to brown butter (it should start to melt but not foam and sizzle, so test with one piece before adding the rest).
Once butter is melted, add both sugars and whisk, breaking up any clumps, until sugar is incorporated and no lumps remain. Add egg and egg yolks and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Whisk in vanilla. Using rubber spatula, fold reserved dry ingredients into butter mixture just until no dry spots remain, then fold in chocolate (the dough will be soft but should hold its shape once scooped; if it slumps or oozes after being scooped, stir dough back together several times and let rest 5–10 minutes until scoops hold their shape as the flour hydrates).
Using a 1 1/2-oz. scoop (3 tbsp), portion out 16 balls of dough and divide between 2 parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets. If using flaky salt, go ahead and sprinkle the cookies with a pinch on each one.
Bake cookies, rotating sheets if cookies are browning very unevenly (otherwise, just leave them alone), until deep golden brown and firm around the edges, 8–10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets.
Do Ahead: Cookies can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If so, take a quick photo of it & tag @thefancypantskitchen on Instagram.
I’d love to see your pics!